Programming 2D Games

The official forum for "Programming 2D Games" the book by: Charles Kelly

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:25 pm 

Hi Guys,

I started the whole C++ and game programming late 2012. I am undertaking a phd in physics so I have had not that much time to work on it constantly since then, but from pretty much no knowledge of c++, and with the help of professor Kelly's great book, I present my work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmjTAEKMaD8 (the keen viewer may recognize those map tiles haha)

Now it might not look like much, but I am very happy with where its at. Since I wanted to learn c++ and direct X 11 myself, the task at hand was much larger, as DirectX is very complicated to do something 'simple' like texture a quad. I ended up using the DirectX Tool Kit for all of my sprite rendering, because it was just taking too long. The nice thing about the DXTK is that you can step through the code and see how they do it all, so down the track you can implement your own sprite rendering methods. I also used the particle system from HAAF's game engine, as it was quite easy to implement into this code and very flexible.

The next stage is to add some enemy ships, some different weapon types for the player, and powerups etc. This is where things get much trickier I feel, as from my readings this is where the much more abstract game engine design comes into play. I now must figure out how to spawn enemy ships, have them shoot, have some simple AI, have some powerup spawns, have an array of weapons with different effects and damage, and how all of these systems 'speak' to each other in the game engine. I have been reading up on component entity systems... it all seems quite complex.. fun times ahead!!