Programming 2D Games

The official forum for "Programming 2D Games" the book by: Charles Kelly

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heyyah :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 pm 

Hello all,
I just ordered this book from amazon.. I am looking forwards to reading it.. I have a lot of game programming books..none of them seem to be exactly what I am looking for..All the 2D books I have seen always end up losing track ofthe subject they are meant to be about..Or they have very limited info and barley touch upon the subjects..

I understand that its a complex subject but to keep seeing "its not within the scope of this book" at the end of everyexplantion after only a copy n paste from the Direct X API to show the data structure, is pretty bad imo.. and unfortunatly a lot of books do it..they are just DX API in book form..

This book however does look quite promising..I have looked at the code for download adn it looks quite nice..There are a few things that made me think "Why has it been done this way?".. That is one thing I wish more books would do.. explain 'Why" they do things the way they do..and what is to be gained or lost from it..

Anyways, just thought I would say hi.. and I look forwards to reading the book :)

Post subject: Re: Heyyah :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for purchasing the book and for the post.

I understand exactly what you are referring to with some books. Hopefully my book does a better job of explaining the topics.

Post subject: Re: Heyyah :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hey :)
Thanks for the reply! :)

There doesn't seem to be many books on 2D nowadays..and the old ones are out of print..

I honestly dont know why there are some many 3D books.. I mean I would say there are probably more 2D hobbiest game programmers than there are 3D.. and 3D is a rather complex and vast subject in comparison.. Not really the sort of thing that a single programmer would take on to make a reasonable game for the shareware market..

Ok, maybe I should have said."I dont know why there isn't MORE 2D books..".
Ones that deal with actual game code rather than just setting up DX/OpenGL and a render window etc..

Something I would be interested in would be engine design/API design etc.. How to organise your code..which sub systems inherit from which.. a kind of best practice guide.. and mentioning the trade offs between different approaches etc..