Programming 2D Games

The official forum for "Programming 2D Games" the book by: Charles Kelly

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Which game programming topics are you most interested in?
Tiled Games 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Role Playing Games 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
AI 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Scripting 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Game State Management 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
2D HLSL 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Roberto wrote:
I would love to see a Role playing 3D game book next!

I love your current 2d programming book(Even if I have not finished it yet,,, it's that good)

When will the next book come out?

I am planning to include RPG but limited to 2D graphics.
The plan calls for publication in Fall 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm 

Glad to hear you're doing another version. Just want to reiterate my support for 2D HLSL. The main reason being that there are so few resources for this, at least that I've been able to find, and I've searched for hours on numerous occasions. Most of what you find is for 3D obviously and includes vertex shaders. And almost all the stuff you can find that only focuses on pixel shaders uses XNA framework stuff, which I believe is now defunct.

To be clear, I don't even care so much about the actual HLSL code, because I can find that anywhere. I think what's more valuable is the C++ DirectX9 code that makes HLSL work with the ID3DXSPRITE interface. Even now mine, which I will post about later, is a sloppy guess that sort of works.

I'm also going to post here the two most helpful resources for pixel shaders I've found so far.

https://gmjosack.github.io/posts/my-fir ... rs-part-1/
http://tech-artists.org/wiki/Blending_functions

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:49 am 

I would also like to voice support for a possible chapter about deployment. Setting up an installer for my demo turned out to be a lot of work. And the one I came up with doesn't work for everyone. When a perspective employer downloads my game demo and says to me, on an interview, that he ran the installer, but got an error when he tried to run the game, then all that work on the game was kind of pointless. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Oh sure, I can say, hey everyone, before you run my game, pretty please download DX9 and VC++ 2010 redist, reinstalling as necessary, then extract this folder and all subfolders to this directory and blah blah blah. But if you want to deploy your game to someone who doesn't have a degree in computer science, it needs to be a proper installer, and getting that right is complicated. Especially with DirectX, because it's not as simple as just testing their version. They might have DirectX 9, or even DirectX 11, but still not have the DirectX 9 optional components they need for XACT and stuff like that.

I gave up on trying to check for DX components. My installer installs the DirectX 9.0c June 2010 runtime for every computer, whether they need it or not. And yet STILL some people run the installer and get an error about missing dx9 files.

Oh, and yes, certain versions of Visual C++ have deployment tools built in, but they don't work, at least, not in the state they were in when I needed to use them. It works fine if your game has zero dependencies, but good luck otherwise. It was less trouble for me to set up my own with Inno.